Bay City Father Facing Child Abuse Charges Needs A New Attorney

October 12, 2014 Abuse and Neglect Attorney

Elliot J. Robinson Sr., the 29-year-old Bay City Father who is accused of intentionally scalding his toddler’s hands, was scheduled to go to trial on September 30th, but that is now on hold as it looks like he is going to need a new defense attorney.

Matthew Gronda, Robinson’s former attorney, filed a motion with the court seeking to withdraw from the case, and argued it before Bay County Circuit Judge Harry P. Gill recently. “I believe in Mr. Robinson, I like Mr. Robinson, we work very well together. This is simply a matter of pure finance. I’ve waited as long as I possibly can in hopes it would work out.” he told the judge.

This is now the second time since since Robinson’s arrest that he is changing attorneys. His very first attorney, George B. Mullison, withdrew from the case the day before the scheduled preliminary hearing. Gronda, who replaced Mullinson, is now also withdrawing from the case.

Judge Gill asked Robinson if he would like to comment on the withdrawal of his attorney, to which Robinson replied, “I don’t even know what to say, your honor. I need a lawyer, please.” Gill told Robinson he would appoint him an attorney, and Gronda said that he would turn over all of the relevant information and paperwork to Robinson’s new attorney.

Robinson is facing charges of first- and second-degree child abuse. The charges stem from an incident that occurred while Robinson was looking after his son at their home. The child had a bowel movement and, while trying to clean himself up, got some feces on his hands.

After disciplining the boy by smacking his hands, Robinson propped the boy up on his knee at the sink and held his hands under the water by holding his elbows in place. The child, who was already crying, cried harder. ¬†According to the testimony of Bay City Police Detective Brian Berthiaume, “At that time, he pulled (the boy’s) hands out of the water and he said the boy’s skin on his hands began to peel off like a glove.”

The little boy was hospitalized for second- and third-degree burns on his hands which required skin grafting to repair. Gronda, before withdrawing from the case, reasserted his opinion that his client was innocent of wrong and had never intended to harm his child.