How To Choose The Right Abuse & Neglect Defense Attorney (Part One)

August 22, 2017 Abuse and Neglect Attorney
Steps of Michigan courthouse
If you have to go to court, you need to be certain that the attorney defending you is the right one!
  • Do you need a defense attorney in Michigan?

If you got a speeding ticket, or lost control of your car on an icy road and bumped into a street sign, but didn’t stick around or report the accident, you could be cited by the police. While both of these count as breaking the law, they are not the kind of crimes that usually require representation by an attorney.

That isn’t the case in most situations, however! Some people think that you don’t need an attorney to represent you in court if you get arrested. If you have been charged with abusing or neglecting a child, which is the kind of crime that can result in jail or prison time, then you are going to need an attorney. And quickly!

  • So, what kind of attorney do you need?

If you have been accused of a crime, you need a criminal defense attorney. But that doesn’t mean you should just call up the first Michigan attorney that pops up when you do an online search. There are a number of things you need know in order to narrow down your search, to ensure that you get the right criminal defense attorney for you. 

  • What crimes are you accused of?

If you are accused of murder, arson, or fraud, then you need a highly skilled criminal defense attorney with experience in those areas. But if you are accused of child abuse or neglect, then you need an attorney with lots of experience dealing with these types of charges. You need an attorney who can represent you in family court if CPS is involved, and also represent you at trial if the case is being investigated by the police as well.

  • Are the charges state or federal charges?

This makes a difference. If the law you are accused of breaking was a state law, you will need an attorney who can legally practice law in the state of Michigan. However, if you have been accused of a federal crime, you will need an attorney who can defend you in a federal court.  Not all criminal lawyers in Michigan are licensed to practice in federal court.

This can seem very confusing, and we understand that. The thing to remember here is that when you are charged with a federal crime, you are being prosecuted by the United States Attorney’s office, as opposed to charges that are brought on a state level by the prosecuting attorney of a local county. This makes a difference because when you’re facing federal charges, you will be prosecuted by a U. S. Attorney who has far more time and resources at hand and therefore, the case may be more complex and more time consuming.

Child abuse and neglect cases rarely involve federal courts, but certain crimes against children, like child sexual abuse and child pornography can be prosecuted by federal attorneys. In these cases, you would need help from a highly skilled attorney who can practice in a federal court in Michigan. 

Join us next time for the next segment, where we’ll continue our guide on how to find the right defense attorney for you. It may not seem like the most exciting topic right now, but if the day ever comes where you need legal help in a child abuse or neglect case, this advice will be invaluable! So swing by next time and check out the rest of the list. You won’t regret it, we promise! 

Until then, if you need a skilled and experienced child abuse and neglect defense attorney who can handle cases in both federal and state courts, and can represent you no matter what you’re accused of, then you need The Kronzek Firm. Call us today at 866-766-5245. An attorney is standing by to take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even during the holidays.